I got this unit for my 2012 F30 that has 6.5 inch screen without navigation. I also ordered a backup camera to go with it. The install is pretty easy, but the backup camera was more difficult. I'll leave my review of the backup camera on that product page. This review is just for the CarPlay headunit.
There are some minor problems with this CarPlay/Android Auto unit that hopefully will be fixed in the future:
1. The aux input switching in "auto" mode is unreliable so I set it to manual and use the steering wheel button to change it as necessary.
2. The audio volume can be inconsistent. Sometimes it is way too loud, other times it is too quiet. Doesn't happen that often though.
3. The screen is very glossy and it catches the sun. I have ordered some matte screen protectors which hopefully will help.
4. The USB plug that is required for Android Auto is just hanging out of my dash. There's no professional looking way to mount it. It would be nice if the kit included a replacement pocket for under the radio with USB port mounted inside.
5. Audio playback through Android Auto only works while the unit is active. If you switch to factory screen, the audio stops. It would be nice to have a way to keep the audio playing.
6. Technical support is good but not great. There's no documentation included with this kit at all, zero, zip, nada. Be prepared to figure things out yourself. There are some good YouTube videos showing how it all goes together though.
Now for the good:
1. This is a huge improvement from factory look, really helps you forget you're driving a 8+ year old car.
2. Sound quality through Android Auto is very good, noticeably better than my cheap Bluetooth adapter I was using. Also this kit does not disable the existing headphone jack AUX input if you have one from the factory.
3. The screen looks professional and Waze, Spotify and Google Maps all work and look great.
4. It is surprising how well the factory controls work to control Android Auto. Even if they don't work 100% the touchscreen always works.
5. The USB plug used for Android Auto and CarPlay does charge the phone (though I'm not sure how fast it can charge).
6. This unit has it's own Bluetooth which works far better than the build in Bluetooth from BMW. It does not require you to deactivate the system that came with the car, but you should probably unpair from it and use either this one or that one but not both.
Overall, it's an excellent value with potential to become even better!